Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mallika Krishna - Art of Living Experience

Masters in Clinical Psychology

I grew up in a family with 3 brothers and 1 sister, all much older than me. My mother was religious and also spiritually inclined and spent her time in some activity or the other which was more for the society than herself or her family, and if there was any time left, she would be reading the Puranas (ancient texts) and such other books. She would tell me stories, which she had created herself and I used to tell her that if she were to record them, she would be a famous writer, which of course she never did. Her philosophy was very simple in life, help others and do whatever you can to make others happy – “I come last”. I grew up with this and it stayed with me.

As I grew up I got busy with studies, reading, helping my nieces and nephews grow,  but did not make too many friends. Once I completed college and started working with the mentally challenged children and adults that I had specialized in after my Masters in Clinical Psychology, my life got sucked into the day to day functioning of the world – work, home, friends, outings etc. My life seemed to be taking me over rather than me living my life the way I wanted. In spite of everything I did there was always something missing.

Meeting with Guruji (HH Sri Sri Ravishankar) - I had met the One

Then The Art of Living Course happened to me in 2002 during the Valentine’s week. Within a few weeks I found the books “Bang on the door” & “God Loves Fun” pushed into my hands by a friend that left me wanting to meet the ONE who had written this book. My first meeting with Guruji left me in no doubt that I had met THE ONE for whom I was searching all my life (of course, I didn't even know it then). My life did a 180 degree turn. My life seemed fuller and I was suddenly aching to do more. I seemed to have too much time on hands in spite of my job as coordinator in an organization that trained NGOs. I quit my job and joined the Bangalore Ashram as a volunteer in 2002 and since then I have been here. I look after the free education project under the guidance of Mrs. Bhanumathi Narasimhan (Guruji’s sister), women’s empowerment projects and HIV-AIDS awareness project and much more. These projects help people in the rural, tribal and slum areas in India. I am happy and content; my relationships with people around me are much better than they used to be.

Today, I realize that each one can contribute to the betterment of the world and no one needs to hold any POSITION to do so. My life of service is more complete and fulfilling than anything I could ever imagine.

My grateful thanks to Guruji for showing me that life is so wonderful and teaching me how to live !!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated to keep the conversation civil and respectful. Thank You.