Sunday, August 22, 2010

Darshana Mathur's Experience on the Path


About Me
I was born and raised in Mumbai. I graduated as a Commercial Artist and Graphics Designer from Rachana Sansad School of Art, Mumbai. While I was still in school, I completed the Art of Living Program. I worked in a Multimedia company for 4 years, designing for several media platforms. I quit working to start something on my own, and found myself developing a range of handbags and clothes, working with rare artisans in India.(www.krpaa.com). I now live with my husband, Dr. Manoj Mathur, in Washington DC. My husband's family lives in Maryland and are ardent followers of Sri Sri Ravi Shankar. My mother and 2 sisters live in Bangalore at the Art of Living International Headquarters.

My Art of Living Story
It was a day that changed my life forever when I met Sri Sri Ravi Shankar (whom we affectionately refer to as Guruji) in April 1998, one month before I undertook the Art of Living Program. He was standing on a stage, and there was a crowd of about 10,000 people...and He was meeting each and every person personally. It was such a pleasant surprise to see this one man greet everybody with so much love and attention. The moment I met Guruji, I saw my father in Him. My father passed a few years before I met Guruji and nothing seemed to replace the pain and loss I felt. Guruji gave me a secure feeling that, " Someone is always there to take care". And rightly so, after 12 years, He still takes care.

I underwent several programs offered by the Art of Living Foundation thereafter, only to find the meaning and relevance it brought into my life. My life is fuller and happier. The Sudarshan Kriya inculcated a different kind of confidence in me. I felt an immense change in my profession, my creativity found a higher platform. 

It has been my pride to have worked with Guruji's sister, Bhanu Didi on several Women's Conference Projects. She is a wonderful example of love, dignity and devotion. Under the guidance of Guruji, she has followed her passion of educating thousands of underprivileged children in India and several other countries . Her 'joie de vivre; and simplicity are hard to miss for anyone.

Guruji has created a beautiful family across the world. The one aspect that is strongly emanated in any of the Art of Living programs is a sense of service and belongingness. Anywhere I go, there is always someone to help me...or someone I can help . I feel as though I am part of a bigger picture...Guruji's vision of a 'One World Family' is not just a dream or an idea that we read about, it is a real and practical experience for several million people across the globe.

How often do you visit a new country and a sudden stranger is there to welcome you with open arms? How often do you meditate with thousands of people of different races and nationalities? How can one man bring a smile to millions of faces? How is it possible that one person can instill a sense of integrity, faith and dignity to people from all walks of life, from farmers in rural India to extremists, From businessman to religious leaders, from prisoners to scientists, from me to you. It is my life's honor to be a part of such a movement. We are truly "Under the sky of One GOD."

1 comment:

  1. Darshana, I have seen you doing seva. You are silent and strongly devoted. You didn't point out that you are one of the most brilliant designers.
    If u were with an ad company you would be bringing in the big bucks.Jai Guru DEV

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated to keep the conversation civil and respectful. Thank You.