Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Jennifer Stevenson's Story

Personal:
I was born in Tokyo, Japan to an American father and Japanese mother. Soon after, we moved back to the US where I spent most of my childhood. For university, I attended Boston College during which I spent one year studying in Spain. After graduating with a degree in Marketing, I moved back to Tokyo and later worked for Bloomberg, a financial services firm. Currently, I live in Washington, DC where I work for the Art of Living Foundation. When I’m not doing yoga or meditating, I love to travel, hang out with friends and occasionally go salsa dancing. :)

My Art of Living Experience:
I was living and working in Tokyo, Japan in early 2002 when a friend told me about the Art of Living Course. It was not too long after 9/11 and the Art of Living was offering donation-based courses all over the world to help alleviate the trauma that reverberated as a result. I really didn’t know much about the course and just took it on a whim. Everything began to change for me after that. The breathing practices improved my health, reduced the stress I was experiencing and gave me lots of energy. I found that I was able to handle various life situations – whether it be family, office politics, cultural differences – all with more ease. My relationships began to improve and most importantly, my relationship to myself improved. I became more aware of my mind and emotions and found that I was experiencing more and more joy in life. I soon after began volunteering for the Art of Living by providing interpretation on courses from Japanese to English. I have made the best of friends through volunteering.

Over the years, I’ve taken a variety of Art of Living courses that have enriched me tremendously. I’ve also been fortunate to meet the Founder, Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, a number of times. I never would have thought that I would have such an amazing teacher – a Guru – to guide me in understanding something as complex as one’s mind, the mysteries of life and really, how to have the most fulfilling life. Sri Sri has been a huge inspiration for me. I’ve never met anyone else who is so selflessly and compassionately in service to every person in this world. He has empowered me to go beyond my limits, to grow in service and to have the sweetest life possible.

I now work full time for the Art of Living Foundation at their national headquarters in Washington, DC. I teach the Art of Living Course and Sri Sri Yoga Course for the general public, the Youth Empowerment Course (YES) for High School students and the Yoga-Empowerment – Service + Course (YES+) for college students and young professionals. Teaching Art of Living programs is by far the most fun I’ve ever had.

I feel very blessed. This journey has been the most fulfilling and only continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated to keep the conversation civil and respectful. Thank You.